develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
demerphq
Date:
March 1, 2022 03:54
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
CANgJU+UdP_TRyEMV3EhGy+UY7oE5NbCZNy4WA8Lxv02XNUtRzA@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 04:49, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2022-2-25 16:35 Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Op 25-02-2022 om 02:41 schreef Yuki Kimoto:

>>> I am persuaded by this
>>

>> Me too.
>>
>> Perl used to be the king of programming languages, but now it's no longer the king.
>>
>> It makes sense to adopt the words we are familiar with in other programming languages.
>>

>> Note that I prefer trim over trimmed too, but not because of this argument. Looking at guidance from other programming languages is fine, but not because Perl must follow them because it's no longer king of the hill. If that is your argument, you should start using that other programming language instead of Perl.
>
>  I want to continue to use Perl even if Perl is no longer king of the hill.

Lets just leave out "king of the hill" discussions from the list huh?
It just *isn't* helpful as a way to reason about perl changes.  I
think I know what you mean, and I think I agree, but it is ambiguous
at best, and pushes people's buttons at worst.

Yves