develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
February 25, 2022 17:48
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
op.1h5qfchbydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 10:11:26 +0100, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 at 09:19, Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 05:40:05 +0100, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hysterical
>>
>> Very bad form and meaningless character assassination regardless of what one thinks about the technical subject.
>
> Even though I think it is inappropriate to criticize my choice of a single word without including the context that it >was used in, I apologize for using it anyway.
> What word would you have me use for a position that I feel is not rooted in any strong technical basis but is >essentially a matter of personal preference unfounded by secondary policy objectives?

Do not use any word there. :)

The problem is not in which word you choose, but in which assumptions you make.

For example, you assume that that the only reason for the change as mentioned is to pretend that strings are immutable; which overlooks that the reason might also be that the calling semantics can be less predictable and can force usage of weird constructs that can be harder to read. That would not simply be a preference, but a technical aspect of programming language usage design.

Mind. Do not get stuck on the specific example i chose. It was only an example. More can exist.

The point is that you made an assumption, without asking first.

And asking first should be the thing to do, instead of picking a specific word to describe that. :)

(Also, as a sidenote: I do not know how sincere your question was, but it felt potentially slightly leading or sarcastic. I assume it to be sincere and answered as such, but i hope you can understand why i point this out. And a second sidenote: Yes, i'm not the best at asking first either. Nevertheless. :))

--
With regards,
Christian Walde