develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 25, 2022 10:46
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
CANgJU+U2-ddJWh2935ha+AcHAyfxAJ_B931_dNSoyT7xO1Us8A@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 10:02, Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:

> Op 25-02-2022 om 09:28 schreef demerphq:
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 08:35, Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:
>
>> Op 25-02-2022 om 02:41 schreef Yuki Kimoto:
>>

>> Perl used to be the king of programming languages, but now it's no longer
>> the king.
>>
>> It makes sense to adopt the words we are familiar with in other
>> programming languages.
>>

>> Note that I prefer trim over trimmed too, but not because of this
>> argument. Looking at guidance from other programming languages is fine, but
>> not because Perl must follow them because it's no longer king of the hill.
>> If that is your argument, you should start using that other programming
>> language instead of Perl.
>>
> I think it is pretty reasonable to look to other languages for precedent.
> We dont exist in a vacuum. We support certain constructs in Perl just
> because Python, or Java or dotNet had them first (I know, I implemented
> some of them), sometimes with a perlish tilt, sometimes a verbatim copy.
> Other languages use "perl compatible regular expressions" and look to us
> for leadership, heck other languages had features I implemented into Perls
> regex engine before Perl actually managed to do a production grade release
> with the features in them. Other languages copy features we have, and we
> copy features they have. Nothing wrong with looking to your neighbor for
> leadership and precedent in a situation like this.
>

> Just for the record, that is not what I meant to say. Guidance from other
> programming languages is fine, nah essential. But mimicking other
> programming languages just because Perl is no longer king of the hill is
> nonsense in my opinion.

Heh, yeah. I dont even know what that means. It's like saying a saw used to
be "king of the hill", and now the hammer is. Languages are tools, there is
no "king of the hill tool", just the right tool for the circumstance. If
you need to cut up a cord of wood an axe probably wins, if you need
something to take hiking then a swiss army knife or equivalent is better.
(I like my leatherman.) If you need to open a can of beans then a can
opener will do just fine.

cheers,
Yves