develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
February 25, 2022 09:02
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
9edd787e-2d26-7759-5bd6-162a5fc51b5d@rtij.nl
Op 25-02-2022 om 09:28 schreef demerphq:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 08:35, Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:
>
>     Op 25-02-2022 om 02:41 schreef Yuki Kimoto:
>>
>>     Perl used to be the king of programming languages, but now it's
>>     no longer the king.
>>
>>     It makes sense to adopt the words we are familiar with in other
>>     programming languages.
>

>     Note that I prefer trim over trimmed too, but not because of this
>     argument. Looking at guidance from other programming languages is
>     fine, but not because Perl must follow them because it's no longer
>     king of the hill. If that is your argument, you should start using
>     that other programming language instead of Perl.
>
> I think it is pretty reasonable to look to other languages for
> precedent.  We dont exist in a vacuum. We support certain constructs
> in Perl just because Python, or Java or dotNet had them first (I know,
> I implemented some of them), sometimes with a perlish tilt, sometimes
> a verbatim copy. Other languages use "perl compatible regular
> expressions" and look to us for leadership, heck other languages had
> features I implemented into Perls regex engine before Perl actually
> managed to do a production grade release with the features in them.
> Other languages copy features we have, and we copy features they have.
> Nothing wrong with looking to your neighbor for leadership and
> precedent in a situation like this.

Just for the record, that is not what I meant to say. Guidance from
other programming languages is fine, nah essential. But mimicking other
programming languages just because Perl is no longer king of the hill is
nonsense in my opinion.

HTH,

M4