develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 25, 2022 08:28
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
CANgJU+U_rJvpqBCLfAAeEL52JaNi7JaDO75S10MFfCM6wX9Cpg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 at 08:35, Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:

> Op 25-02-2022 om 02:41 schreef Yuki Kimoto:
>

> 2022-2-25 0:55 Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/22 21:40, demerphq wrote:
>> > Virtually every other programming language uses "trim"; that should be
>> > good enough reason for us to use it too.
>> >

>> I am persuaded by this
>>

> Me too.
>
> Perl used to be the king of programming languages, but now it's no longer
> the king.
>
> It makes sense to adopt the words we are familiar with in other
> programming languages.
>

> Note that I prefer trim over trimmed too, but not because of this
> argument. Looking at guidance from other programming languages is fine, but
> not because Perl must follow them because it's no longer king of the hill.
> If that is your argument, you should start using that other programming
> language instead of Perl.

I think it is pretty reasonable to look to other languages for precedent.
We dont exist in a vacuum. We support certain constructs in Perl just
because Python, or Java or dotNet had them first (I know, I implemented
some of them), sometimes with a perlish tilt, sometimes a verbatim copy.
Other languages use "perl compatible regular expressions" and look to us
for leadership, heck other languages had features I implemented into Perls
regex engine before Perl actually managed to do a production grade release
with the features in them. Other languages copy features we have, and we
copy features they have. Nothing wrong with looking to your neighbor for
leadership and precedent in a situation like this.

cheers,
Yves