develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: trim vs trimmed revisited

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
February 25, 2022 07:35
Re: trim vs trimmed revisited
Message ID:
2bb91ba6-f9cf-f526-759a-6463be17e28d@rtij.nl
Op 25-02-2022 om 02:41 schreef Yuki Kimoto:

> 2022-2-25 0:55 Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
>
>     On 2/23/22 21:40, demerphq wrote:
>     > Virtually every other programming language uses "trim"; that
>     should be a
>     > good enough reason for us to use it too.
>     >

>     I am persuaded by this
>

> Me too.
>
> Perl used to be the king of programming languages, but now it's no
> longer the king.
>
> It makes sense to adopt the words we are familiar with in other
> programming languages.

Note that I prefer trim over trimmed too, but not because of this
argument. Looking at guidance from other programming languages is fine,
but not because Perl must follow them because it's no longer king of the
hill. If that is your argument, you should start using that other
programming language instead of Perl.

HTH,

M4