develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 24, 2022 03:19
Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/
Message ID:
CANgJU+UBv8Ey3SfvYmTYbicTz0e7XEUYuZCcKF_LQ9tKNRS60Q@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 at 03:58, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 2:23 AM demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2021, 15:57 Nicholas Clark, <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:.
>>
>>> Note, there is no reason to stick to just 3 subdirectories ext/ dist/ and
>>> cpan/
>>>
>>> We could split dist and go 4 ways:
>>>
>>> ext:
>>>      unchanged. core-only
>>>
>>> bundle:
>>>     what was cpan/
>>>
>>> dist:
>>>     upstream blead, dual life
>>>
>>> cpan:
>>>     blead can patch if needed
>>>

>>> I think that this layout would address both concerns
>>>

>> One thing I find annoying is having to remember which one a given module
>> is in. Could we maybe add another that is a symlink directory into all 4?
>> Maybe "modules"? Then when I'm just trying to find the code for something
>> and cant remember what the dist name is or I want to see an overview of
>> everything we include I can look there?
>>
>> Would that be a step too far?
>>

> Much of it is functional. In particular "you probably should not commit
> any edit in cpan/" is useful.
>
> That said, I do feel your pain, and I think that adding a 5th directory
> for perl modules to live in (Nicholas forgot to mention lib) would add more
> confusion than it's worth.

I think i phrased myself poorly. Using the word "modules" just muddied the
water of what I meant. I meant basically a directory which has symlinks to
the results of ls dist/ cpan/ ext/ and so forth.

In other words let say we called it "all_bundles" we would have

all_bundles/re -> ext/re
all_bundles/File-Spec -> cpan/Scalar-List-Util
all_bundles/Scalar-List-Util -> bundle/Scalar-List-Util
all_bundles/Term-Readlin -> dist/Term-ReadLine

so we would only have to update it when we add a new "bundle" or if we were
to move them between different directories. Eg, if someone decided to take
over maintenance of a "cpan" bundle (assuming the new proposed names) it
would move to the "bundle" directory, and we would change the symlink. That
would also provide long term continuity for people as well.

Cheers,
Yves