develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
February 24, 2022 02:08
Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/
Message ID:
5906766c-457e-4aef-b3fb-657116d986d9@beta.fastmail.com
On Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 8:23 PM, demerphq wrote:
> One thing I find annoying is having to remember which one a given module is in. Could we maybe add another that is a symlink directory into all 4? Maybe "modules"? Then when I'm just trying to find the code for something and cant remember what the dist name is or I want to see an overview of everything we include I can look there?

I am sympathetic to this idea, but I think it will introduce more problems than it solves.  Things will get out of sync, porting tests will need to exist and get run, and so on.  For me, the solution is that I guess (which is right 80% of the time) and failing that run "find | grep utf8.pm".

I'm not strongly opposed if somebody can convince me it *wouldn't* be a new, more annoying low-grade annoyance, but my gut feeling is that this won't happen.

What about this idea, which I haven't thought about for more time than it takes to type:  Everything goes into one place, ./perl-lib or something, and then the build order is stored in a manifest-like file.  The porting test looks for subdirectories not assigned to a build phase.  I dunno, seems maybe possible.  I admit this is not carefully considered.

--
rjbs