develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 24, 2022 01:24
Re: What should go in dist/ and cpan/
Message ID:
CANgJU+X+aOqy3ZG=wLymAzgikh5-GfoW3JMcbt_m7sDNuLr7aQ@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 24 Dec 2021, 15:57 Nicholas Clark, <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:.

> Note, there is no reason to stick to just 3 subdirectories ext/ dist/ and
> cpan/
>
> We could split dist and go 4 ways:
>
> ext:
>      unchanged. core-only
>
> bundle:
>     what was cpan/
>
> dist:
>     upstream blead, dual life
>
> cpan:
>     blead can patch if needed
>

> I think that this layout would address both concerns

One thing I find annoying is having to remember which one a given module is
in. Could we maybe add another that is a symlink directory into all 4?
Maybe "modules"? Then when I'm just trying to find the code for something
and cant remember what the dist name is or I want to see an overview of
everything we include I can look there?

Would that be a step too far?

Yves