develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 21, 2022 04:59
Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18
Message ID:
CANgJU+VdC0R_LewioZug2F30QYtX+d9-J+2XMrnhjB8Ex_x6MA@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 at 04:17, Oodler 577 via perl5-porters <
perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> * Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2022-02-20 22:07:06 -0500]:

> make it a lot hairier. We decided that this would be better started off as
> a CPAN pragma, to see if there is much interest in something like this.
> > >
> > > I don't understand the general case, would you be so kind to expand
> whenever
> > > you have a spare cycle? E.g., what other things would fall into this
> and in
> > > what cases would something get "promoted" (not sure if that's the
> right term)
> > > from "use feature" -> "use trustworthy::feature"? Is this creating
> another
> > > kind of "feature" or "experiment" class?
> >
> > I can explain it, I think, very clearly.
> >
> > An experimental feature has an uncertain future.  It may change behavior
> in the next release, or even be removed.
> >
> > Eventually, some experiments stop changing behavior and are enshrined as
> official behaviors.
> >
> > For *those* features, using them in an older version of perl where their
> behavior is identical to the enshrined behavior *is no longer uncertain*.
> It should not bear the scary name "experimental".
> >
> > Back to specifics:  Consider the "postderef" feature.  This feature was
> added in v5.20 as an experiment.  In v5.24, it was made non-experimental,
> and there was no change in behavior.  Dist::Zilla, code I wrote, requires
> only v5.20 of perl.  I would like to use postderef in Dist::Zilla, but I
> don't want to write "use experimental 'postderef'" in the code and make
> people believe it's using experimental features.  It's using stable
> features that were not *declared* stable in v5.20, but effectively were
> stable, and we know that now.  Neil is describing a CPAN module that
> allowed me to turn on experiments only if they were already at their stable
> behavior on the running version of perl.
>
> Ok, so "trustworthy" versus "experimental"? If that's the case, I think I
> understand. And if I _do_ undertand correctly, is "trustworthy"
> the best description possible. Seems if we want to type what we mean,
> would it be more precisely something like, "stable::feature"?

I dont think we should be using English phrasing and word order for our
pragma, I hope that that ends up 'feature::stable' instead. But I do think
it would be better than "trustworthy". FWIW.

cheers,
Yves