develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18

From:
demerphq
Date:
February 21, 2022 03:01
Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18
Message ID:
CANgJU+Ve9k9gDsPjgQi989WHGcvKS9oX9=YRwwvDWh0xvAmpGw@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022, 07:24 Neil Bowers, <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> De-experimentalising variable-length look-behind (`experimental::vlb`).
> See https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18756.

I don't think this is ready for prime time yet. The feature is way under
tested, and without my recent PR it is plain broken, and I'm pretty sure I
can find other issues and work that needs to be done given a bit of time. I
have a feeling when I start poking it with a stick later today I'm going to
find more issues that will need fixing and we are rapidly approaching code
freezes and etc. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to get it
into a shape where I could in good conscience sign off on it in the time
available.

I'll do my best but I am not optimistic. The regex engine is garly as heck
and even though I now have rewrapped my brain around the state machine I
expect the changes needed will be in the compiler (regcomp.c) which is even
more gnarly than the state machine (regexec.c).

I think it likely this will have to be parked until 5.38.

Yves