develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18

From:
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
Date:
February 21, 2022 02:50
Re: PSC #055 2022-02-18
Message ID:
YhL9PQ/76S9tKff8@odin.sdf-eu.org
* Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> [2022-02-20 23:23:39 +0000]:

> We discussed builtin::trimmed, and agreed that it should go in.

Seems fair, sets a good precedent. TY.

> Less pressing: documentation updates and release notes for 5.36.
>

> pragma for using experimental features non-experimentally
>
> Let's say you want to use the bitwise feature in your CPAN module. It was experimental from 5.22 to 5.26, and became non-experimental in 5.28. But retrospectively, from 5.22 onwards it was fine. So it would be nifty if you could include it with something like
>
>     use trustworthy::feature 'bitwise';
>
> This would let you use it in Perls from 5.22 onwards. But if it had changed in 5.26, and that version ended up being the one that was trustworthy, then the pragma would only let you use it from 5.26 onwards.
> This could be done by dual-lifing the feature pragma, but that would make it a lot hairier. We decided that this would be better started off as a CPAN pragma, to see if there is much interest in something like this.

I don't understand the general case, would you be so kind to expand whenever
you have a spare cycle? E.g., what other things would fall into this and in
what cases would something get "promoted" (not sure if that's the right term)
from "use feature" -> "use trustworthy::feature"? Is this creating another
kind of "feature" or "experiment" class?

Cheers,
Brett

> Neil

oodler@cpan.org