develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2022

Re: De-experimenting signatures - the PR

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
February 19, 2022 01:49
Re: De-experimenting signatures - the PR
Message ID:
b567d54d-65ab-956c-116a-82874fcb0b77@darrenduncan.net
On 2022-02-18 7:52 a.m., Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 22:54:10 +0000
> "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" wrote:
>
>> Here it is,
>>
>>    https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19424
>
> I had imagined there'd be more PR review comments by now ... ;)
>
> For such a big important and anticipated change, there's been seemingly
> little review.
>
> I'll remind folks: This PR is 98% about documentation and unit-tests.
> There's *one* 4-line chunk of actual code change, and that is simply
> deleting the 4 lines of C code that calls the Perl_ck_warner_d function
> which actually prints the warning. The entire rest of the PR is updates
> to documentation (plain English, no code), unit tests, or other related
> files (plain perl). So it really doesn't need an expert in C or core
> perl internals; anyone at all can comment about the documentation at
> least.
>
> We're aiming to get this one merged in time for the 5.35.9 release this
> Sunday.

So I just did what is probably my first ever formal pull request code review of
the Perl core.

I approved this pull request with the comment that my level of savviness is such
that I wouldn't recognize if any important change was omitted, but that every
change I did see looked like it was correct and/or not problematic.

I see several other people left comments and changes were made in response, but
as far as I know I'm the only one with an approve/checkmark registered.

-- Darren Duncan