develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2022

Re: @_ is experimental in signatured subs [was: Re: Discourage @_ insignatured subroutine]

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
January 31, 2022 10:28
Re: @_ is experimental in signatured subs [was: Re: Discourage @_ insignatured subroutine]
Message ID:
20220131102812.53d1d50e@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:41:40 +0900
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2022-1-29 8:14 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:38:31 -0500
> > James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have time now to think of an alternative, but think we
> > > must.
> >
> > Latest attempt has:
> >
> >   no warnings 'experimental::args_array_with_signatures';
> >
> > after much discussion on IRC.
> >

> Name and the warning category is good, however does the user
> misunderstand that @_ will be available in signature subroutines
> without warnings?
>
> Do We have to message that @_ is going to be removed in the signature
> subroutine?

I'll add it to perldelta.

I also have a wider plan to update lots of core perl docs about
signatures, and newer features in general. We should be making *much*
louder noise about `use VERSION` as well.

I plan to do a lot of that once the rush for Feb 20th change-freeze is
over. Things like docs updates are a good thing to schedule into that
quiet gap between change-freeze and final release in ~May-time.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans