develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2022

Re: @_ is experimental in signatured subs [was: Re: Discourage @_ insignatured subroutine]

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
January 28, 2022 20:38
Re: @_ is experimental in signatured subs [was: Re: Discourage @_ insignatured subroutine]
Message ID:
18388ed3-b087-13a2-bf11-2553109d5ef4@pobox.com
On 1/28/22 13:08, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:

> After further discussion at today's PSC meeting, we decided this
> warning should be under the `experimental::` space, because the
> behaviour of @_ inside a signatured sub is really the one thing that
> remains experimental about signatures (besides all the new features we
> intend to add, but they can be added independently).

Agreed.

> I've therefore changed the warning category to the cute-but-nonobvious
>
>    no warnings 'experimental::snail_in_signatures';

Too cute by half, as I mentioned in the GH ticket a few minutes ago.

> I'm not sure this name is very clear for users to read or discover,

It is not clear.

but
> I couldn't think of anything else sufficiently snappy and short.

I don't have time now to think of an alternative, but think we must.
If
> anyone has any better suggestions I'll consider them.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan