develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2022

Re: Pre-RFC: perldelta naming

From:
Dan Book
Date:
January 12, 2022 17:48
Re: Pre-RFC: perldelta naming
Message ID:
CABMkAVWa8ApA3h9CT_3Kuw5VVB3s3f5vFTVsAaz_Dqz2kj3Kvg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:30 PM Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, at 8:40 AM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>
> I would not worry about release managers because I suspect in every
> case ever they have always known the number of the release they are
> rolling :-).  I would worry about Jane Programmer who submits the
> occasional PR and has to trawl through the pod/ directory to figure
> out which delta to update, which will most likely be the wrong one by
> the time the PR is merged.  Unless someone is paying very close
> attention and takes manual steps to modify the PR before merging, as
> often as not a previous perldelta rather than the current one will get
> updated.
>

> Thanks, Craig, that's a really excellent point, and makes me think that
> "perldelta is the next one" has a bunch of value.

One thing that could be changed without breaking this is to have the
perldelta copied to its new version during the RMG distribution process,
rather than on installation - this would fix its availability on metacpan,
as discussed in https://github.com/metacpan/metacpan-web/issues/2587 and
related issues.

-Dan