develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2022

Re: RFC-Modern OOP In Perl

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
January 8, 2022 08:39
Re: RFC-Modern OOP In Perl
Message ID:
5606e52b-bd3a-2050-73c5-237302b922fa@darrenduncan.net
On 2022-01-07 11:48 p.m., Ovid via perl5-porters wrote:
> Each step builds on previous steps but should be independently shippable. I
> can’t say that they’ll be particularly useful to any except those helping to
> find bugs. Expectation management will be important here.

>     On 2022-01-07 9:20 a.m., Ovid via perl5-porters wrote:
>      >
>      > The Seven Samurai (er, stages):
>      >
>      > 1. Classes
>      >
>      > Initial `use feature 'class'` to add basic class/field/method.
>     and ADJUST/ADJUSTPARAMS blocks.
>      >
>      > No roles, no class/slot/method attrs, no MOP.

I think you under-estimate the usefulness of early steps.

As far as I'm concerned, Samurai 1 delivers like 50% of the total value and
usefulness of the MMVP all by itself.

That gives us a distinct opaque base type for real Perl objects, that is
mutually exclusive from all Perl types that exist now, with fields that are
syntactically like regular variables rather than hash keys.  Everything more
than that is gravy.

So a Perl major release that has just Samurai 1 would be huge by itself, a game
changer by itself, a MMMVP, and VERY useful.

I would definitely make heavy use of said new Perl version for that alone.  For
my personal industrial-scale FLOSS project, nothing I expect to make money from
in the short term.

So while the full MMVP is nice, delivering Samurai 1 to production this Spring
is a very worthwhile goal by itself.

I would also be willing to personally donate some coin specifically towards a
Samurai 1 for Spring release.

-- Darren Duncan