develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2022

Re: Pre-RFC: perldelta naming

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
January 7, 2022 08:50
Re: Pre-RFC: perldelta naming
Message ID:
2a8ff94d-b10b-6e79-3970-a99e5fd5fe8c@darrenduncan.net
On 2022-01-07 12:26 a.m., Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
> Dear Porter,
> currently the perldelta pod is renamed on every version to
> perl$version_without_dotsdelta on every release.
> I'd like to ask if we can't name the file that way when it is created so that it
> doesn't have to get renamed later?
> Keeping perldelta as an index for all available version specific files, maybe
> highlighting the major changes, new features, important bug- and security fixes,
> if something relies on its existence.
>
> Thanks, Alex

I like this idea.  Create every Perl Delta file from now on using its final name
inclusive of version number, and have the generic "perldelta" be a concise index
of sorts that mainly points to the numbered file for the latest version.  This
index can also have a brief explanation of how to read the other files and which
ones are most relevant. -- Darren Duncan