develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2021

Re: Core?s purpose

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
December 1, 2021 07:40
Re: Core?s purpose
Message ID:
e3a5fdf5-e83b-cb5f-5216-b4724ff72c77@rtij.nl
[ Accidentily sent to Brett instead of list, Sorry Brett! ]

Op 29-11-2021 om 21:42 schreef Oodler 577 via perl5-porters:

> I put https in the same camp as native GUI support for easy client
> desktop application support. I.e., a very important but not "core"
> capability. It could even be "core" if it were not an application
> or libary area that necessarily involved many platforms and downstream
> support of system bundlers and packagers.
>
> So "core" is that kernel of critical/bootstrap support that comes
> from the most basic installation of perl. A slight extension of
> this is our group of "dual use" modules that come with "core",
> which is probably more appropropriately called an "SDK".
>
> If supporting an important thing doesn't require an extraordinary
> amount of work and is not adetriment to more important goals of
> distributing "perl", then the debate to include it is largely easy.
> If it is something that requires a lot of coordination, then it
> should be provided for as an "official" optional installation.

I don't agree with this assesment at all. Perl (cpan) cannot even
install new modules safely with https, but must by necessity use http.
Unacceptable in this day and age. I'ld say that is something that lacks
in core, while a gui isn't needed to work with Perl, so truly can be
seen as optional optional.

And for what it's worth, I also personally do not support a gui in core
because a) it's not universally useful, most systems running Perl do not
even have a gui and b) there is no single candidate that provides an
obvious base system that is useful to everyone. But then compare https
support to a CSV parser standard in core instead (which I really would
like), than the same argument about Perl needing https but not CSV still
applies.

I hear the technical arguments against https in core, those are
arguments that make sense to discuss in my eyes, but from a self
contained view of the language, https should really be in core.

HTH,

M4