develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
November 25, 2021 13:22
Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help
Message ID:
20211125142114.0938ede0@pc09
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 12:56:55 +0000, Oodler 577 via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> The whole point of "dog fooding" is to comiserate with users,
> so technically speaking if we're unsure about using something in
> core because there's no confidence in X, then we have no business
> throwing the stuff over the fence to "Joe Perl User".

Many here are developers/maintainers as well as users. All that
maintain or develop most likely do so because of their own interest and
thus act as end-user as well as designer. Here dog-feeding works very
well.

As Martijn asked for CSV out-of-the-box in the https thread, I note
myself that Text::CSV_XS would never have been the success it was as it
stands when I would not have used it myself as intensely as I do:
multiple times per hour and on a wide variety of CSV formats.

Dog-feeding helps improving not only the product itself, but also the
test-cases and the documentation.

Do not underestimate the "User" role of developers

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux