develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
November 25, 2021 00:18
Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help
Message ID:
CAExogxMV=kfRtH6d-ep7wxsuBEmXp81EK-P6pVse5tS-vrKkBg@mail.gmail.com

> In a recent PSC call (whose notes I still have to write up - sorry about
> that), a thought was expressed that we should do more "dogfooding" -
> namely, using our own features in our own code. I'd like to encourage
> more people to help us achieve this.

It seems like a good idea to release a new feature that is being tested in
a non-dual life module that ships with Perl.

However, it is not all experimental, and it is thought that there is
consensus and there will be no problems.

In this time, the following features are ok in my opinion.

 * Postfix deref
 * try/catch blocks
 * `defer` blocks
 * Stable booleans

The following features are either not consensus or the features will be
improved.

 * Sub signatures
 * The `isa` operator

The reason is to avoid the game where the one who makes the established
facts wins.

I can help with the tests if I'm needed.