develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
November 24, 2021 15:12
Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help
Message ID:
20211124151210.4512b714@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:57:51 -0500
Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with this - experimental means (outside of exceptional
> cases) it is unsuitable for production code because it may be
> insufficiently shaken out or require breaking changes or get removed
> entirely. Core can adjust in tandem with the feature for the latter
> issues, but not the first. That doesn't seem suitable for code
> shipped with Perl which is not itself experimental. At the very
> least, it should require case by case determination on whether the
> particular feature is appropriate to use in the particular module.

Yes there's certainly room for caution, and not immediately jumping on
the newest of little-tested features in the most critical paths.

But I would think something like signatures (which have in practice
been very battle-tested on CPAN), or `isa` (which is a small syntax
neatening of the existing ->isa method) could be relatively safe
candidates justabout anywhere.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans