develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
November 24, 2021 14:41
Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help
Message ID:
20211124144130.1ab5ccc2@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:00:01 -0500
Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> wrote:

> Of these, only postfix-deref is officially production-ready, right?
> The rest are experimental?
>
> I would think it better to avoid experimental features in core …
> though once a given feature achieves official stability, of course,
> it would be awesome to adopt it internally.

"experimental" means "might change in a later version of perl", but
that's fine for files shipped with perl itself. We can effectively
ignore that status. If the feature does change then the file shipped
with perl can just be changed to accommodate it.

"experimental" means that someone somewhere has to experiment with it.
If nobody does, then the status is effectively meaningless. Who better
to experiment with it than ourselves?

> > Who wants to help us out with this?
>
> What are some example files you have in mind? I assume dual-life/CPAN
> modules would not be part of this migration?

See my reply to James Raspass, but in summary: most of ext/ and lib/
ought to be fair game here. Avoid anything under dist/ or cpan/ because
they are dual-life indeed.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans