develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help

From:
Felipe Gasper
Date:
November 24, 2021 14:00
Re: Dogfooding our own new features - you can help
Message ID:
F5ED8857-347B-4AD3-B305-00E9D61024F3@felipegasper.com

> On Nov 24, 2021, at 08:30, Paul LeoNerd Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>
> In a recent PSC call (whose notes I still have to write up - sorry about
> that), a thought was expressed that we should do more "dogfooding" -
> namely, using our own features in our own code. I'd like to encourage
> more people to help us achieve this.
>
>  ((Wikipedia has more on the origin of the phrase
>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food ))
>
> I personally find it very useful to be a bleeding-edge user of a lot of
> my own new features; many of my personal-use CPAN modules and programs
> are dependent on Object::Pad, async/await, and various of my
> Syntax::Keyword::* modules. It's useful to be both implementer and user
> of these new features, so as to get a good feel for what and how it
> should be designed, used, extended.
>
> We should do the same in core perl; currently we do not.
>
> For example, I notice that basically nowhere in any of our shipped .pm
> files are we using any of the following features that are already
> present in perl releases:
>
>  * Postfix deref
>  * Sub signatures
>  * The `isa` operator
>  * try/catch blocks

Of these, only postfix-deref is officially production-ready, right? The rest are experimental?

I would think it better to avoid experimental features in core … though once a given feature achieves official stability, of course, it would be awesome to adopt it internally.

> Who wants to help us out with this?

What are some example files you have in mind? I assume dual-life/CPAN modules would not be part of this migration?

-F