develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Reviews / merge of "builtin functions for booleans"

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
November 24, 2021 12:57
Subject:
Reviews / merge of "builtin functions for booleans"
Message ID:
20211124125659.57c6f44c@shy.leonerd.org.uk
Hi all,

I have a PR open to add the "builtin" package and a few functions
relating to booleans:

  https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/19232

This is a dual-purpose PR, which both finishes off RFC 0008, "Stable
Booleans", and makes an initial start at RFC 0009, "Namespace for
Builtin Functions"

To keep the pace moving I'd like to merge this sometime by the end of
the week / into the weekend. Various folks have reviewed it a bit, but
given how far-reaching this becomes I'd appreciate a few more eyes on
it. *Especially* the documentation - I know I'm not the best at writing
"introduction-style" docs, so more people looking at that would be good.

Once this is in I aim to add a bunch more functions (e.g. clear out the
hacky Internals:: namespace, and borrow a few from Scalar::Util), and
also have a go at some more efficient op-based implementation of them
so they don't all have the ENTERSUB overhead. I mention them now just
to dismiss any suggestions of doing those already. That can come later.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans