develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod

From:
Dan Book
Date:
November 23, 2021 02:35
Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod
Message ID:
CABMkAVWQvrsoKU9z4QnjkfFE+FMKEWT1MjHgAHrkS_CEb2ZtmQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 8:51 PM Philippe Bruhat (BooK) <book@cpan.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Arne Johannessen wrote:
> > Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> > >
> > > As you're already using a | symbol to separate the URL from alt-text
> > > (though I see you swapped them later), could you not also use this for
> > > sizing?
> >
> > If there will be images, then having some way to size them seems
> sensible.
>
> An image already has an intrisic size, so IMO there's no point in
> repeating that information inside the P<> element. In my understanding,
> the main issue with images is when they are much bigger than the
> containing document. This is when they need resizing for display purposes.
>
> In the case of HTML, it's relatively easy to constrain an image to
> be resized to the width of the container ("max-width: 100%") if
> it's larger. If smaller, there is probably no need to resize it.
> (Then more styling questions pop up: should it be centered?, etc.)

This is for use in POD sections, which do not contain such formatting
capability. Styling is entirely up to the HTML renderer which is largely
disconnected from the POD declarations. Image sizing seems somewhat more
technical.

I think image size in pixels is a property of the image itself, and
> needs no repeating in the POD. Its size when displayed in a formatted
> document is an issue for the formatter to deal with.
>
> POD is about content, and styling should be left to the formatters.

I would agree as I did earlier in this thread, but the proposed simple
extension to optionally provide this information seems fine to me for the
convenience of this common task.

-Dan