develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod

From:
book
Date:
November 23, 2021 01:51
Re: Pre-RFC: images in Pod
Message ID:
20211123015139.GG10604@kapow
On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Arne Johannessen wrote:
> Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> >
> > As you're already using a | symbol to separate the URL from alt-text
> > (though I see you swapped them later), could you not also use this for
> > sizing?
>
> If there will be images, then having some way to size them seems sensible.

An image already has an intrisic size, so IMO there's no point in
repeating that information inside the P<> element. In my understanding,
the main issue with images is when they are much bigger than the
containing document. This is when they need resizing for display purposes.

In the case of HTML, it's relatively easy to constrain an image to
be resized to the width of the container ("max-width: 100%") if
it's larger. If smaller, there is probably no need to resize it.
(Then more styling questions pop up: should it be centered?, etc.)

I think image size in pixels is a property of the image itself, and
needs no repeating in the POD. Its size when displayed in a formatted
document is an issue for the formatter to deal with.

POD is about content, and styling should be left to the formatters.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Blood is thicker than water... so beware of thick relatives.