develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
November 21, 2021 23:57
Re: "use v5.36.0" should imply ASCII source
Message ID:
CAExogxPKa06fZnRujwafqo9Z6_Sn7GOA2557awE7t6d3Fy0X6Q@mail.gmail.com

> My take is this:  The end state I'd like is that strings are in one of
> three states:  declared text, declared bytes, unknown.  Semantics exist for
> how to combine these and deal with I/O discipline.  The source code is
> Unicode and string literals are assumed to be text.  A new string literal
> syntax exists for byte strings, like qb"...".
>
> I think the flag for text is needed instead of confused and
misused utf8::is_utf8.

if (is_text($text)) {
  say Encode::encode('UTF-8', $text);
}

> For my money, a useful next step is that we encourage people to opt-in to
> "source code is unicode and string literals are text."  This means that the
> programmer is then responsible for thinking about how this will affect
> their I/O.  That concern is already there, we're just pushing around the
> complexity like a lump under the rug.  I think this push is a good one.  It
> lets us enable non-ASCII syntax, and it's pretty well understood.  Also, we
> already have something for qb"...." in the form of "do { use bytes; qq{...}
> }" but we could probably add a qb, too, if we needed it.

I agree with this.

  use v5.40;
  # Text (a decoded string). Literal is interpreted as UTF-8
  my $text = "abcde";

  # Bytes if you need more performance by index access
  my $bytes = qb"abcde";