develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Initial hack at 'builtin::' namespace

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
November 20, 2021 16:59
Subject:
Initial hack at 'builtin::' namespace
Message ID:
20211120165853.309052d2@shy.leonerd.org.uk
I've made a tiny start at the 'builtin::' idea, at:

  https://github.com/leonerd/perl5/tree/boolean-builtins

Just sufficient enough to provide the missing functions required for
the "boolean" feature; RFC 0008:

  https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0008.md

It still needs, for a minimal attempt that we can merge into core:

  * Docs
  * An 'import' sub

If anyone wants to help writing those - especially the docs - your
assistance would be most welcome ;)

Also ideally before 5.36 release, I'd like to build a mechanism to use
the callchecker, to replace calls to these functions with some more
efficient ops. There's no point making an ENTERSUB for builtin::true,
for example, when that can just be an OP_CONST of PL_sv_yes directly.
Such a mechanism should be quite useful for most of the builtin funcs.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans