develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2021

Re: Pre-RFC: ${^ENGLISH_NAME} aliases for punctuation variables

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
November 1, 2021 23:32
Re: Pre-RFC: ${^ENGLISH_NAME} aliases for punctuation variables
Message ID:
CAExogxM28mni7Ofuo4T9R29igbn+a8DNBc1j1Guha7uzu5nA7w@mail.gmail.com

> Currently, each punctuation variable has an $ENGLISH_NAME alias available
> for readability. But this has a couple problems: it's only available if you
> "use English;" which does not provide a direct indication of the variables
> it's related to in the code, and was a significant performance penalty in
> older versions of Perl; these issues leading to not much use of the module
> and thus the knowledge of their existence has not become widespread; so
> average Perl programmers finding $CHILD_ERROR in Perl code are likely not
> to know it's an alias for $? or that it's a built-in variable at all, thus
> reducing its effective readability instead of increasing it.

 One of the most common criticisms of Perl is its low readability.

Although this is partly a hype, I feel it's true that punctuation variables
aren't readable as they are.

Although ${^FOO} is a little peculiar, the word can be searched by
searching engines such as Google, Bing, and I realize it is a special
variable.

I agree with this proposal.