Re: Robin Hood Hashing for the perl core -- examples for 5.16?

From:
L A Walsh
Date:
October 20, 2021 00:04
Re: Robin Hood Hashing for the perl core -- examples for 5.16?
Message ID:
616F5C63.7040403@tlinx.org
On 2021/08/03 13:58, Philip R Brenan wrote:
> If the proposed new hash function is "better" than the existing
> function then the existing hash function is not "the best" which
> raises the possibility that there might be other "better" hash
> functions to choose from.  One such possibility might use multi way
> trees: https://metacpan.org/dist/Tree-Multi

In addition to the above, that req'd:
Data-Table-Text-20210915

..neither would compile under 5.16.3.  with both having needless
incompats from 5.26
required.

IF we are talking about algorithms for perl-core, can they at least be
compat w/previous perl?

It looks like both could if "incompatible expressions were not used,
like

define ? $_ : undef;
   instead of
define $_ ? $_ : undef; # (and another w/similar syntax)...

Also one that was (expr)->%* (or something like that,
worked better as %(expr), due to a $$h in front that wouldn't parse
right under 5.16....
-----

It looked interesting enough for me to try to download try it out, and
trying to figure out why it wouldn't compile under 5.16.3...