Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Joseph Brenner
Date:
October 19, 2021 19:25
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
CAFfgvXWy35+ZcQ9G4qnto0AX6sxtfiAtfMKfdLEzpYFpMjYcAw@mail.gmail.com
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

>If it's going to be equivalent to "-0777", which directly impacts the record
separator, then "-R" is probably better.

I thought we could do better than that, but maybe not... of the
available choices -R isn't bad.  The remaining unused single ascii
letters are:

    b g j k o q r y z A B G H J K L N O P Q R Y Z

Though there are some numerics also:

   -1  do it in one gulp (confusable with -l, though)

Possibly:

  -o  do it in "one" gulp (myself I'd keep it in case there's a need
for "output")

Maybe:

   -N  the "opposite" of -n
   -P  the "opposite" of -p

so instead of, say, -nR or -pR you could just use -N or -P