Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 19, 2021 18:15
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
YW8LEuHDUl2sv9RJ@etla.org
On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 09:19:05AM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Tomasz Konojacki writes:
>
> > "-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once in
> > one-liners.
> >
> > Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
> > one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp).
>
> Yes, please. I have taught Perl for a living, and having a single option
> for this would making teaching one-liners much easier.
>
> The current -0 option has the flexibility of being completely general,
> but that generality gets in the way of learning the most common cases:
> you need to understand the concepts of record separators, octal, and
> then a non-octal token.
>
> There are now several messages of support and none against, so I think
> you may now proceed to writing and submitting an RFC.

Yes, please. as in

1) specifically, Tomasz, please draft an RFC.

Whilst there is an "official" blank template, it might be easier to start
with https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0003.md
which was also about command line options. (It's also suitably short)

2_ generally, "this" was roughly the pre-RFC "workflow" was supposed to flow

a) mail an elevator pitch
b) rapid feedback
c) if rapid feeback is "several people said yes" and "no-one said no"
   then anyone competent can say "right, this isn't totally daft, go for it"
   (including the original submitter)

It's the first "?" decision point on:

https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/master/docs/process.md

and clearly a "command line flag" can't be a CPAN module. :-)

Nicholas Clark