Re: Pre-RFC: "builtins" namespace

From:
Oodler 577 via perl5-porters
Date:
October 16, 2021 23:52
Re: Pre-RFC: "builtins" namespace
Message ID:
YWtlpNuUhsbAqwNb@odin.sdf-eu.org
I am not sure where to put this, the GH repo has no way to add
"issues", but 2 points:

1. the non-sequential membership of the ./rfcs makes me want to
look at the rejected ones; I propose there be a folder that contains
these

2. any RFC would be better served as a directory with some sort of
formal structure (i.e., "main" document) then some structure that
allows supporting files and contributions (could be contributed
pro/con arguments, code examples, preliminary benchmark scripts/results
etc) - at some point in the future this process will benefit from
the archiving of this information; including well written "comments"
(the C in rfC). Even for RFCs that are ultimately rejected it would be
beneficial. E.g., a similar feature is proposed but someone remembers
it's suspiciously similar to an older one. This would facilitate some
way to research this imperfect memory.

Finally, I still find it odd that our RFCs are not written in POD.
But I suppose that ship has sailed. I'd much rather see the above
two recommendations (particularly #2) be considered and effected in
some way.

Cheers,
Brett

* Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> [2021-10-16 15:44:04 +0100]:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 19:46:35 +0100
> "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Following up our recent "Namespaces" chat, I'd like to get the ball
> > rolling on the subject of the builtin functions namespace idea.
> >
> > I propose to write an RFC to outline the overall mechanism, and give
> > an *initial* list of functions to include in it. I say initial,
> > because the entire point of the mechanism is that's where we'll be
> > adding any of the "simple, acts like a function" things in future, so
> > this very much doesn't need to be a full complete list; just a few
> > bits and pieces to get us started.
>
> And now written:
>
>   https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/pull/6
>
> --