Re: PSC #040(?) - Perl SV Flags special

From:
Dan Book
Date:
October 15, 2021 14:18
Re: PSC #040(?) - Perl SV Flags special
Message ID:
CABMkAVX-LBMf11iyyQb+e95aXaefHAt1HugK=7xHO+P_W_Hw1A@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 4:03 AM Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure that we can push this to distinguishing between "started as an
> integer literal" vs "started a floating point", *and* I'm not sure if we
> need to. The big problem we're trying to solve here is correctly generating
> formats such as JSON and YAML that *are* sensitive to strings vs numbers,
> and I didn't think that they (or their other-language consumers) were
> sensitive to "what sort of a number is it?"

I can't speak to the others, but JSON does distinguish integers and floats;
some implementations have deigned to preserve roundtripping NVs with a
trailing '.0' though there are a couple problems with this. Perl NVs pop
into existence at some unexpected times, such as the result of 2**2. And
this isn't as important IME as creating, say, a JSON document with boolean
values.

-Dan