Re: PSC #041 — 2021-10-07

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
October 11, 2021 20:35
Re: PSC #041 — 2021-10-07
Message ID:
20211011223500.5a75501f@pc09
On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:28:50 -0700, Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 5:50 AM H.Merijn Brand <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
>
> > > perhaps the patch should allow using ' as part of a symbol name?
> >
> > Let us not go there.
>
> All characters are already allowed in the symbol table (e.g. see
> Package::Stash, which explicitly tests for this) -- it's just the parser
> that doesn't recognize ' as part of a symbol name. But usage like
> $Foo::foo{q!foo'bar}} still works.
                     !

A symbol name is relatively well defined in the manual

What can be used in symbolic references is something completely different.
And it is something not seen by the compiler as (part of) a variable name.

What I say is more explicitly to make the ' not (officially) (legal/valid)
part of a variable name.

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux