Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
October 8, 2021 18:47
Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10
Message ID:
dd28fc84-2c9a-4dc8-8b10-231b84adfca6@beta.fastmail.com
On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, at 4:24 PM, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 11:52 PM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:
>> Speaking of deprecating things, the dumbmatch fiasco has showed that our
>> two stable releases deprecation cycle is way too short. When the users
>> of LTS distributions upgrade, they skip multiple Perl releases, so from
>> their POV features disappear without any warnings! This worked OK for
>> unimportant stuff that no one cared about, but I think something like
>> smartmatch will need a longer deprecation period.
>
> Yeah, having a fixed time period seems suboptimal. IME different situations ask for different periods of time.

The policy is already "different periods of time."

perlpolicy:
If something in the Perl core is marked as deprecated, we may remove
it from the core in the future, though we might not. Generally,
backward incompatible changes will have deprecation warnings for two
release cycles before being removed, but may be removed after just
one cycle if the risk seems quite low or the benefits quite high.

--
rjbs