Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
October 8, 2021 18:45
Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10
Message ID:
371223a3-b4ad-4a88-ac8f-0e03c6301a9d@beta.fastmail.com
On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 5:51 PM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> The other reason is that we have completely failed to communicate that
> we don't want our users to use smartmatch. Until 5.18 it didn't warn at
> all, now it gives an "experimental" warning which is meaningless. Do
> signatures and smartmatch have the same status? Absolutely not. Yet
> that's what our documentation and warnings say.

"Until 5.18" — in other words, "for the last eight years."

"meaningless" —
    given is experimental
        (S experimental::smartmatch) "given" depends on smartmatch, which is
        experimental, so its behavior may change or even be removed in any
        future release of perl. See the explanation under "Experimental
        Details on given and when" in perlsyn.

    Smartmatch is experimental
	(S experimental::smartmatch) This warning is emitted if you use the
	smartmatch ("~~") operator. This is currently an experimental
	feature, and its details are subject to change in future releases of
	Perl. Particularly, its current behavior is noticed for being
	unnecessarily complex and unintuitive, and is very likely to be
	overhauled.

We need to be able to say that some things aren't guaranteed, and then *after eight years of saying that*, it needs to be able to mean something.

Saying, "The practical impacts of changing this feature are big and need real consideration" is one thing.  I am really not enthused by "we've been saying it might be changed or removed for eight years, and this is meaningless and not enough."

--
rjbs