Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10: install.html target

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
October 5, 2021 08:35
Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10: install.html target
Message ID:
CAExogxPbgwpcELzibNjbht-PL+aLN05e0-o1FJC3za6X+uNGOQ@mail.gmail.com
2021-10-5 5:18 James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/21 3:08 PM, Andy Dougherty wrote:
>  > On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 05:53:45PM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
>  >> 2021-10-4 5:42 Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>>
>  >>> *installhtml* — I don't think this makes sense as an experiment.  We
>  >>> should drop the experimental classification. #12726
>  >>> <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/12726>
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>   One by one, starting with the ones that seem to have little impact.
>  >>
>  >> Is there anyone who opposes this?
>  >
>  > I would oppose it, in its current state.  The intended usage pattern
> and documentation
>  > should be sorted out first.  Specifically, the current Makefile.SH
> says this
>  >
>  >      # XXX Experimental. Hardwired values, but useful for testing.
>  >      # Eventually Configure could ask for some of these values.
>  >

> [snip]
>
>  >
>  > Configure actually does ask for some html installation variables, but
> nothing uses
>  > them.  Presumably, there was a mismatch between what Configure asks
> for and what
>  > installhtml actually needed, but that mismatch was never resolved.
> Recording the correct
>  > installation location in Config.pm is useful because that would allow
> CPAN modules to
>  > reliably look up where to install HTML files.
>  >
>  > I think this all should be sorted out before declaring it
> non-experimental.
>  >

> I agree with Andy Dougherty, except that I would go further and drop
> this make target entirely.
>
> Earlier this year I worked on a refactoring of 'ext/Pod-Html', in the
> course of which I had occasion to peer into 'installhtml'.  I don't
> claim to be an expert on that program since, among other things, I have
> never actually had to use it in 21 years.  But I did have occasion to
> make one change in it ("set default podpath to './lib'";
> f5e0f10e7065bfa21679406e5c9a604536f75585) in order to resolve an old bug
> ticket, https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/11859.
>
> Looking at the code for the 'install.html' target in 'Makefile.SH', I
> now see that that code retains "-podpath=." -- which means it probably
> does the wrong thing.  At the very least, it's now out of synch with the
> default values for the 'installhtml' program itself.
>
> Given this problem with the target, and given that we have next to no
> data from end-users as to how either the target or the program is
> actually used, I believe that not only should we *not*
> de-experimentalize the 'install.html' target, we should deprecate it and
> [...]

There seemed to be some different opinions

 Ric

-Delete experimental

Andy

-organize