Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
October 4, 2021 19:08
Re: review of perlexperiment, 2021-10
Message ID:
YVtRKzMso3kqzQzR@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 05:53:45PM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> 2021-10-4 5:42 Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>

> > *installhtml* — I don't think this makes sense as an experiment.  We
> > should drop the experimental classification. #12726
> > <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/12726>
> >

>  One by one, starting with the ones that seem to have little impact.
>
> Is there anyone who opposes this?

I would oppose it, in its current state.  The intended usage pattern and documentation
should be sorted out first.  Specifically, the current Makefile.SH says this

    # XXX Experimental. Hardwired values, but useful for testing.
    # Eventually Configure could ask for some of these values.

Relevant excerpts from The INSTALL file:

    =item HTML pages

    Currently, the standard perl installation does not do anything with
    HTML documentation, but that may change in the future.  Further, some
    add-on modules may wish to install HTML documents.  The html Configure
    variables listed above are provided if you wish to specify where such
    documents should be placed.  The default is "none", but will likely
    eventually change to something useful based on user feedback.

    =head1 installhtml --help

    Currently, the supplied ./installhtml script does not make use of the
    html Configure variables.  This should be fixed in a future release.

Configure actually does ask for some html installation variables, but nothing uses
them.  Presumably, there was a mismatch between what Configure asks for and what
installhtml actually needed, but that mismatch was never resolved.  Recording the correct
installation location in Config.pm is useful because that would allow CPAN modules to
reliably look up where to install HTML files.

I think this all should be sorted out before declaring it non-experimental.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu