Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Yuki Kimoto
Date:
October 1, 2021 00:15
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
CAExogxMzZXDT3-dOob9oZ=CzhQ8b1NxEuHS1G71NLW3TKF-MzA@mail.gmail.com
2021-9-30 0:00 Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> "-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once (instead of
> line by line) in one-liners.
>
> I feel this isn't ideal. "-0" is a bad flag. It's overly general, users
> rarely need $/ to be set to anything other than undef or "\n". Also, the
> input record separator has to be specified as an octal number, which is
> weird. The fact that the numbers above 0o377 are special-cased to mean
> "undef" makes it even more confusing.
>
> Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
> one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp). I wish
> it could be "-s", but sadly it's already taken :(

I feel  slurping is a very general operation in this age.

For example, HTML.

HTML is not a line to line protocol. the whole file needs to be parsed by
regular expression.

  <h1>
     Foo
  </h1>

And the available memory is large enough.