Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Dan Book
Date:
September 29, 2021 19:13
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
CABMkAVVwPFkJd4rhLH07DNf_j-1GZCe99i8k2uODWAZyMbZSTg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 2:55 PM Oodler 577 via perl5-porters <
perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> * Scott Baker <scott@perturb.org> [2021-09-29 08:37:57 -0700]:
>
> > On 9/29/21 08:21, Dan Book wrote:
> > > On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:
> > >
> > >     "-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once
> > >     (instead of
> > >     line by line) in one-liners.
> > >
> > >     I feel this isn't ideal. "-0" is a bad flag. It's overly general,
> > >     users
> > >     rarely need $/ to be set to anything other than undef or "\n".
> > >     Also, the
> > >     input record separator has to be specified as an octal number,
> > >     which is
> > >     weird. The fact that the numbers above 0o377 are special-cased to
> mean
> > >     "undef" makes it even more confusing.
> > >
> > >     Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
> > >     one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp). I
> wish
> > >     it could be "-s", but sadly it's already taken :(
> > >

> > > I think this is an excellent idea. This sort of processing using Perl
> > > oneliners is extremely common and spread across the internet, and the
> > > '-0777' flag is a constant source of confusion. Ideally perl would have
> > > support for long options so we didn't have to take up the dwindling
> > > one-letter options, but in the meantime, they are not in high demand so
> > > IMO it's fine to use one for this.
>
> Seems like anything would need to consider also -n and -l, any others? I'm
> not
> a perl oneliner wizard by any means, but these two came up in my google.

-0777 interacts with these options in a reasonable and expected way, and
the proposed -g would do the same.

-Dan