Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Scott Baker
Date:
September 29, 2021 15:38
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
449e548a-75f6-f20c-e656-31648728f5b5@perturb.org
On 9/29/21 08:21, Dan Book wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:
>
>     "-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once
>     (instead of
>     line by line) in one-liners.
>
>     I feel this isn't ideal. "-0" is a bad flag. It's overly general,
>     users
>     rarely need $/ to be set to anything other than undef or "\n".
>     Also, the
>     input record separator has to be specified as an octal number,
>     which is
>     weird. The fact that the numbers above 0o377 are special-cased to mean
>     "undef" makes it even more confusing.
>
>     Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
>     one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp). I wish
>     it could be "-s", but sadly it's already taken :(
>

> I think this is an excellent idea. This sort of processing using Perl
> oneliners is extremely common and spread across the internet, and the
> '-0777' flag is a constant source of confusion. Ideally perl would
> have support for long options so we didn't have to take up the
> dwindling one-letter options, but in the meantime, they are not in
> high demand so IMO it's fine to use one for this.
>
> -Dan

I totally support this feature... and I think it should be a --long
option instead of "-g". The Perl interpretter is *long overdue* for long
options.

- Scott