Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Dan Book
Date:
September 29, 2021 15:21
Re: Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
CABMkAVXvRoNGqysDahx88v33SHvwD8mSJ5ob=pTghWR8R4kOig@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> "-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once (instead of
> line by line) in one-liners.
>
> I feel this isn't ideal. "-0" is a bad flag. It's overly general, users
> rarely need $/ to be set to anything other than undef or "\n". Also, the
> input record separator has to be specified as an octal number, which is
> weird. The fact that the numbers above 0o377 are special-cased to mean
> "undef" makes it even more confusing.
>
> Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
> one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp). I wish
> it could be "-s", but sadly it's already taken :(

I think this is an excellent idea. This sort of processing using Perl
oneliners is extremely common and spread across the internet, and the
'-0777' flag is a constant source of confusion. Ideally perl would have
support for long options so we didn't have to take up the dwindling
one-letter options, but in the meantime, they are not in high demand so IMO
it's fine to use one for this.

-Dan