Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
September 29, 2021 15:00
Pre-RFC: command-line flag for slurping
Message ID:
20210929170012.2F1B.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
"-0777" flag is the usual way to read the whole file at once (instead of
line by line) in one-liners.

I feel this isn't ideal. "-0" is a bad flag. It's overly general, users
rarely need $/ to be set to anything other than undef or "\n". Also, the
input record separator has to be specified as an octal number, which is
weird. The fact that the numbers above 0o377 are special-cased to mean
"undef" makes it even more confusing.

Slurping is an extremely common operation and it deserves its own
one-letter flag. I propse "-g" (mnemonics: gobble, grab, gulp). I wish
it could be "-s", but sadly it's already taken :(