Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
September 26, 2021 14:21
Re: PSC #034 2021-08-20 - "Namespaces Special"
Message ID:
20210926162005.4c2434f0@pc09
On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:23:31 +0200, Martijn Lievaart <m@rtij.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Thanks for the excelent writeup!
>

> Op 27-08-2021 om 14:08 schreef Paul "LeoNerd" Evans:

> >    * What is the actual name for the fully-qualified namespace used
> > by these new functions? We used "builtin" during the discussion,
> > but if you have to `use` a module to get at them they can hardly be
> > said to be built-in
>

> std::<function> is nice and short, even if a bit c++ish.
>

> >    * What is the name of the shim-loader pragma module used to
> > obtain the shortname lexical aliases? It could match the function
> > namespace, but it doesn't have to. Other candidates include
> > "function" or "functions". Though they bear a visual similarity to
> > the "feature" module, which we are trying to avoid. Maybe there are
> > some other words to be found.
>

> use std '<function>'; would serve I think.
>

> >    * What functions to actually include in this new namespace? We
> > already have quite a few candidates for places to look for existing
> > ideas, which should be sufficient to try out the mechanism before
> > we think about adding actually-new ones:
> >        + `Scalar::Util`
> >        + Existing features like `fc`
> >        + UNIVERSAL.c
> >        + The badly-named `Internals::`
> >        + Commonly-used POSIX functions like `ceil()`
> >        + Rarely-used POSIXisms in core perl like `gethostbyname`
>
> I cannot remember the last time I used ceil, but I use gethostbyname
> a lot. But that may just me. I do not see a huge added value from
> removing gethostbyname and others from the global namespace other
> than orthogonality, but I  don't care to much either.

What he said.

I use POSIX::strptime more than ceil or floor
I would also suggest Time::Local functions: now you can make the names
default again instead of the silly long lames

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux