Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 21, 2021 15:23
Re: Pre-RFC: Configure option for whether to include taint support
Message ID:
CANgJU+V-EHw4a=OuwGpZZE+p74Dkhgufea5gRAsHKz7c++SFxg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 22:30, Steffen Schwigon <ss5@renormalist.net> wrote:

> Steffen Schwigon <ss5@renormalist.net> writes:
> > I will try to benchmark the impact of the compilation option
> > -DNO_TAINT_SUPPORT to perl's performance.
>
> Executive Summary:
>
> With very few exceptions or outliers Perl with -DNO_TAINT_SUPPORT is
> generally faster than with taint support by about 1% to 5% for average
> real world code. There are some more extreme results where the
> benchmarks are special:
>
>  - Some algorithmic micro benchmarks are nearly not affected or even
>    slower.
>
>  - Some particular Perl feature micro benchmarks are up to 20% faster.
>
>  - The complex text processing benchmark SpamAssassin is 14% faster ([1]).
>

> [1] Obviously, in real life SpamAssassin would use taintmode for good
>     reason.
>

> More details with boxplots and percentiles are here:
>
>  *
> http://renormalist.github.io/Benchmark-Perl-Formance/res/2021-09-17-perl-benchmark-notaintsupport-v1.html
>

> Here is documented what I did:
>
>  * https://github.com/renormalist/perl-benchmarking-taintmode
>

> I hope that helps.

That lines up with what we saw, although i think ours were closer to the 5
than the 1% change.

cheers,
Yves