Re: Pre-RFC: "builtins" namespace

From:
Dan Book
Date:
September 10, 2021 21:35
Re: Pre-RFC: "builtins" namespace
Message ID:
CABMkAVVg9jHZxVtJtrKvsTMjVZaeAj-h+ySAPeNf=ZNng6LLWw@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Following up our recent "Namespaces" chat, I'd like to get the ball
> rolling on the subject of the builtin functions namespace idea.
>
> I propose to write an RFC to outline the overall mechanism, and give an
> *initial* list of functions to include in it. I say initial, because
> the entire point of the mechanism is that's where we'll be adding any
> of the "simple, acts like a function" things in future, so this very
> much doesn't need to be a full complete list; just a few bits and
> pieces to get us started.
>
> To that end I am looking for answers to such questions as:
>

>   * What should it be called? Votes on:
>
>       use functions 'abc', 'xyz', ...;
>       use function ...;                 # because  function::abc reads
>                                           nicer
>
>       use builtins ...
>       use builtin ...
>
>       use std ...
>
>     This name would have to be well-behaved as a regular CPAN module,
>     because the module needs to be dual-life, available to install from
>     CPAN so older perls can still use the functions it contains.
>
>     I therefore feel it should be a single toplevel name, and
>     all-lowercase. I have no strong thoughts about singular vs. plural
>     as a name.

CPAN permissions for the suggested names:

function: not in use, but https://metacpan.org/author/PERRAD has comaint on
it, it has no firstcome, possibly a pause artifact that could be reclaimed
functions: available
builtin: not in use, but owned by https://metacpan.org/author/GBARR
builtins: available
std: currently in use and owned by https://metacpan.org/dist/STD