PSC #036 2021-09-03

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
September 7, 2021 22:20
Subject:
PSC #036 2021-09-03
Message ID:
94fbcaf2-1e44-4e56-ab3f-539de1e27468@Spark
PSC #036 2021-09-03

Present: Paul, Rik, Neil

We discussed the taint Configure option again. The driver for this is potential performance improvement. Steffen Mueller experimented some years back and came up with ~12%, but it would be good to do some benchmarking now and have a better handle on the potential benefit. Steffen Schwigon has done quite a bit of Perl benchmarking over the years, so we've asked him if he'd like to help out, and he's agreed. We'll put together a brief plan, but if you've thoughts on what needs to be benchmarked, and how, this is your chance to share them.

Recently we had a PSC+ discussion on namespaces, which seemed to work well, as a way to discuss a specific topic with an extended but still limited number of (relevant) people. Yves has suggested we have a similar discussion on the proposed change related to the scalar IOK/POK/NOK IOKp/POKp/NOKp bitflags. We'll have this discussion in a near future PSC meeting. If you're experienced with these, and would like to join the discussion, please email me.

We had a discussion about Module::Runtime, and the fact that you can't write `require $module`. We decided we'd like to do something about this, but there are a number of related issues, so Rik will kick off some discussion on the list on this, which we hope will lead to an RFC.

We had a brief chat about the RFC process, and decided we'll invite Nick into our next meeting, to agree how to move things forward.

We continued working through the Quirks document, with a couple being classified as not quirks (but worth saving elsewhere), one as a bug (which Neil will open a ticket for), and a number that are quirks we just have to live with, but are open to improving documentation, etc. We considered having a separate meeting just on quirks, but decided we're happy to steadily work through the document, with a handful done in each meeting.

Neil