Re: deprecating non-default postderef_qq

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
September 3, 2021 16:37
Re: deprecating non-default postderef_qq
Message ID:
b75c50db-cf7a-491e-ab81-f0c7b7628c54@beta.fastmail.com
On Tue, Jun 15, 2021, at 1:56 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
>> That said, I believe this is a very niche feature that we are better served by eliminating.  To do this, I propose:
>>  * In 5.36.0:  We make cases where postderef_qq would occur, if not for the feature being off, issue a deprecation warning, but act as before.  That is:  "Eat more $pies->@{ $x }" will interpolate $pies and @$x but also warn.  User can eliminate the warning by changing their code to read "Eat more $pies\->@{ $x }".
>
> I would like to hereby solicit a branch that makes this happen.  I believe the work (at a very high level) is:
>  * add a deprecation warning when the "no feature 'postderef_qq'" behavior is triggered
>  * make sure the perldiag entry indicates how to fix the error while keeping the old behavior
>  * test updates

In reviewing outstanding "stuff we'd like to get moving so it can someday be finished," I found this thread.

Is there someone who would like to take this on?  If not: *Hey Tony!*  Is this something that could be gotten on your grant work plate?

--
rjbs